There are pros and cons of using paint or wallpaper. Factors to consider are ease of application, cost, and versatility to your space. Whichever you choose, your walls will benefit from the addition of paint or wallpaper. Painting and wallpapering are both great choices for your home.
How long it takes to prepare a wall when deciding to paint or wallpaper needs to be taken into account. If you’re starting from a bare wall then you can skip this tip, if you have an existing finish applied to the wall read on…
- Removing existing wallpaper can be a tedious task that requires patience and the right tools to be effective.
- Stripping wallpaper can be done with chemicals or stripping tools, but care must be taken or damage can result to the wall.
- Consult a home improvement store for specific instructions for your application.
- Applying primer paint prior to painting over darker color paint will make your painting preparation easier.
- Painting requires considerably less preparation time than wallpaper.
SELECTION AND DURABILITY:
- Very durable and will hold up to wear and tear of children, high traffic areas and many varieties are scrubbable.
- Wallpaper comes in paper and vinyl surfaces for durability and finishes variation.
- Since wallpaper is applied with an adhesive, high moisture bathrooms and kitchens may cause wallpaper to peel away from the wall.
- Depending on the sheen/finish paint is a good option for areas that need to have an inexpensive and easy application.
- Semi-gloss to high gloss paints are durable and are usually reserved for trim, exterior doors, etc… Satin, Eggshell and occasionally Flat sheens are used on interior walls.
- Both paint and wallpaper come in unlimited varieties and colors.
- Paints come in various glosses and sheens
- When walls are damaged, scraped or hit, paint can chip, repair and repainting will be necessary.
- Wallpaper and paint can range in price from the low-end to the high-end of the cost spectrum.
- Wallpaper on average is more expensive to purchase the rolls, supplies and to have it installed.
- Paint on average is cheaper and requires very few supplies, and an amateur can apply it.
It should be noted that inexpensive wallpaper can be purchased and if you do it yourself can cut down on installation costs. Similarly, with paint, higher end faux paint finishes, and textured paint can be expensive especially if it needs to be professionally applied.
A combination of both: Many people want the versatility of adding a texture to their wall with customizable paint colors. Paintable wallpaper is a product that comes in rolls or adhesive squares. After the textured wallpaper is applied you are able to leave it bare or paint over. Paintable wallpaper is the best of both worlds!
The wonderful world of wall finishes is vast and customizable. Whether you choose wallpaper or paint, either one will give your home subtle or bold color and character. For the appeal of both, try paintable wallpaper or stick with paint or wallpaper. The option is yours and that’s why home decorating is so exciting!