Looking for a foolproof way to extend your living space without breaking the bank?
Add a deck!
Over the years, decks have evolved from being just an area attached at the back of a property to an ideal space perfect for relaxing and entertaining.
Be a step closer to that deck you have always wanted by following these tips:
- When it comes to deck design, many factors have to be taken into account. Elements like the contour, architectural style and landscaping features of your property should rank high in your ‘things-to-consider’ list.
- Prior to choosing the final design, it will be a wise idea to also figure out the deck features you want to incorporate. Will you be utilising your deck to hold large parties? Or do you intend to use it as the ideal place for intimate family gatherings? The addition of features like an outdoor fireplace or a dining area should depend mainly on the usage you have in mind.
- Come up with a list of features you would like to integrate in your deck and rank them according to importance. This process will enable you to prioritise especially if your budget is tight.
- If you wish to enhance your deck, certain additions will help you pull off the home extension you have always envisioned. For instance, if you wish to keep everyone comfortable and warm during the freezing winter months, having an outdoor fireplace installed.
- Adding functionality and visual appeal to your deck can also be done with the use of screens, plants, and benches.
- For protection against the elements, you can take advantage of umbrellas and other shade structures. Other shade alternatives available at your disposal include canopies and outdoor awnings.
- Nowadays, when it comes to deck styles and materials, the choices available at your disposal are infinite.
- If you prefer traditional designs, you can go for the conventional diagonal pattern. However, if you are feeling adventurous, you can opt for the more daring geometric style.
- If you are looking for an environmentally-friendly alternative that requires minimal upkeep, composite decking is your topnotch choice. If visual appeal is a priority however, there are a wide array of exquisite materials at your disposal ranging from timber to hardwood.
- When planning your deck project, setting a budget is a vital component. After all, having an budget in place will make it so much easier for you to stay within it once you start.
- When setting the budget, it will work to your advantage if you include an extra amount for possible unforseen building expenses. Statistics show that additional project costs average to as much as 30 percent depending on the unforseen circumstances you are confronted with.
- While sticking to your set budget can be a difficult, it is not impossible. Should you encounter an unexpected budget dilemma, take it as an opportunity to compromise. Case in point, if built-in seating costs more than you are willing to spend, opt for a weatherproof wicker instead.
While adding a deck might seem like an expense you can do without, nothing can be farther from the truth. In essence, this marvelous addition to your property provides a functional and relaxing haven without hurting your wallet.